- Race Information
- Friends for the Cure Fundraising
- Breast Cancer Survivors
- Participant Center
- I AM KOMEN®
- Photo Gallery
- Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure®
- Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure- Registration
- Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure- Information
- Brainerd Lakes- Teams
- Brainerd Lakes- Survivors
- Brainerd Lakes- Make a Donation
- Brainerd Lakes- 5K Race Results
- Brainerd Lakes- Volunteer
- Brainerd Lakes- Honorary Chairs
- Brainerd Lakes- Sponsors
- Brainerd Lakes- About Us
- Ginger Brauer Award
- Shop for the Cure
Breast Cancer Stories- Join us here as we continue to share stories that celebrate the women and men who inspire us all!
Rally for the Cure - Golf, tennis, dinner events and so much more...
Go Passionately Pink to help save lives! — Just wear pink, have fun and raise money to fight breast cancer. Be inspired by the multitude of ideas right here, or think of your own. There are so many creative ways to have fun and fight breast cancer.
> Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure® > About Us > Our Work > Annual Information - Public Disclosure
Annual Information - Public Disclosure
Our Mission and our Promise
Susan G. Komen Minnesota is here for the mission; Save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer. It guides what we do each and every day. For us, the women and men we serve are our highest priority in everything we do. Our local needs assessment is the primary driver of our funding decisions and community partnerships.
Locally incorporated, Komen Minnesota serves the entire state of Minnesota and is governed by a local Board of Directors. Please click here to view our Board members. Please click here to view our staff.
Komen Minnesota raises funds through events like the Twin Cities and Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure and other local and statewide events. Seventy-five percent of the net funds we raise stays in Minnesota to fund statewide breast cancer programs. Please click here for a complete list and description of the breast cancer programs that we support. The remaining twenty-five percent funds research on a national level, some of which supports breast cancer research right here in Minnesota at the University of Minnesota and Mayo Clinic. Please click here for more information on our research programs.
Since 1993, we have invested more than $46 million to fund life-saving programs that create access to breast cancer screening, education, research and treatment support. In 2017 alone, we distributed more than $1 million, including $367,602.00 to public health education programs, $186,773.00 to breast cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment programs, and $229,262.00 to breast cancer research programs.
We play a critical role in major advances in the fight against breast cancer – transforming how the world talks about and treats this disease and helping to turn millions of breast cancer patients into breast cancer survivors. We are proud of our contribution to some real victories:
- More early detection – nearly 75 percent of women over 40 years old now receive regular mammograms, the single most effective tool for detecting breast cancer early (in 1982, less than 30 percent received a clinical exam).
- More hope – the five-year survival rate for breast cancer, when caught early before it spreads beyond the breast, is now 98 percent (compared to 74 percent in 1982).
- More research – the federal government now devotes more than $900 million each year to breast cancer research, treatment and prevention (compared to $30 million in 1982).
- More survivors – Currently, there are more than 3.5 million breast cancers survivors, the largest group of cancer survivors, in the U.S., and are a living testament to the power of society and science to save lives.
We are proud of our fundraising abilities. However, what is even more important than the money we raise is what we do with it. We are extremely careful with the dollars you have entrusted to our care. Total administrative and fund-raising expenses in 2017 were a low 21% of total revenues, which enables us to maximize our investment in the battle against breast cancer.
For more information about our financial history and accomplishments, please click here to view our Annual Reports and Form 990’s
We rely on your support to help us fund life-saving, breast-health programs right here in Minnesota and invite you to join our mission.