- Race Information
- Friends for the Cure Fundraising
- Breast Cancer Survivors
- Participant Center
- I AM KOMEN®
- Photo Gallery
- Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure®
- Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure- Registration
- Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure- Information
- Brainerd Lakes- Teams
- Brainerd Lakes- Survivors
- Brainerd Lakes- Make a Donation
- Brainerd Lakes- 5K Race Results
- Brainerd Lakes- Volunteer
- Brainerd Lakes- Honorary Chairs
- Brainerd Lakes- Sponsors
- Brainerd Lakes- About Us
- Ginger Brauer Award
- Shop for the Cure
Breast Cancer Stories- Join us here as we continue to share stories that celebrate the women and men who inspire us all!
Rally for the Cure - Golf, tennis, dinner events and so much more...
Go Passionately Pink to help save lives! — Just wear pink, have fun and raise money to fight breast cancer. Be inspired by the multitude of ideas right here, or think of your own. There are so many creative ways to have fun and fight breast cancer.
> Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure® > Komen Race for the Cure® > Friends for the Cure Fundraising > Fundraising FAQs
How are the fundraising proceeds used?
75 percent of the Race’s net income stays in Minnesota to fund local screening, treatment and education programs for the medically underserved. The remaining 25 percent supports the Susan G. Komen Award and Research Grant Program®, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research.
Is there a fundraising requirement?
Fundraising is NOT required. However, participant fundraising is critical to the success of the Race and the programs funded by Komen Minnesota. Not only do your fundraising efforts make an impact, but you start earning great rewards once you’ve reached $100 in donations! Visit our "Fundraising Rewards" page to see what you can earn!
Once I'm registered, how do I start online fundraising?
The following is a link to your Fundraiser Headquarters, where you can email family and friends encouraging them to donate. You can also set a goal and customize your page. Click here and login in the upper right-hand corner.
Once I'm registered, how do I manage and access my fundraising page?
For more information on managing and accessing for fundraising page on RunSignUp- Click here.
Once I'm registered and created my team, how do I manage my fundraising team?
For information on how to manage your fundraising team on RunSignUp- Click here for more information.
Where can I obtain a Friends for the Cure® donation form?
Download a printable donation form at the top of this page on the right-hand side of the screen.
What is the deadline for sending in donations?
To be considered for fundraising rewards, donations must be made online or postmarked by June 19, 2019.
How do I submit my offline donations?
You may bring them with you to our Race Registration site (Southdale Center, 1st Level) on Race weekend (May 10,11,12) or mail them to: Susan G. Komen® Minnesota, Attention: Friends for the Cure, 960 Southdale Center, Edina, MN 55435.
(If you mail them, be sure to label the envelope as “Friends for the Cure” and include a donation form) Remember, the deadline to be eligible for the rewards is June 19, 2019.
What kind of fundraising rewards can I earn?
Our Fundraising Rewards page has full details on the great rewards you can earn. Find it under the Komen Race for the Cure tab, then click on “Fundraise”. Or, go back to the top of this page and click on the right-hand side of screen, where it says Fundraising Rewards. Certificates for reward redemption will be mailed to each individual fundraiser within 6 weeks of the fundraising deadline.
How are fundraising totals calculated?
Fundraising totals are calculated by adding the total of the donations collected on an individual’s personal online fundraising page to the total of offline donations received in our Komen Minnesota office by June 19, 2019. Offline donations must be clearly labeled “Friends for the Cure” on the envelope and have a donation form included that clearly lists the fundraiser’s name on it. The prizes are not cumulative, meaning you receive only the prize for the level corresponding to the total amount of donations collected and submitted.
*Donations made on behalf of a team may not be credited to an individual.
Does my registration fee count as a donation?
No. Per IRS regulations, registration fees do not count as donations.
If I don’t participate in the event, what happens to the money I have raised?
All donations to the Race are non-transferable and non-refundable. If you are unable to participate in the event, your donations will go directly to the cause as if you had participated. We trust your donors will appreciate supporting Susan G. Komen® regardless of your participation on Race day.
How are the fundraising proceeds used?
75 percent of the Race’s net income stays in Minnesota to fund local screening, education programs, and breast health programs for the medically underserved. The remaining 25 percent supports the Susan G. Komen Award and Research Grant Program®, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research.
How do I find a participant's personal fundraising webpage?
Click on the tab, “Komen Race for the Cure,” then “Donate", then click on “Donate to a Race Participant or Team”.
Why is the participant search not finding the person I'm looking for?
You must enter their name exactly the way it they entered it at registration. Try entering just the first few letters of the participant's name for more results.
How do I make a donation to a team?
If you don’t have a direct link to the team’s fundraising page, you can do a team name search. Go to our home page and click on the tab, “Komen Race for the Cure,” then “Donate.” Once you click on “Donate to a Race Participant or Team,” you can search for the team at the top of the page. Note: If you make a donation directly to a team, it will contribute to the fundraising goal of the entire team, not an individual team member.
Who should I make my check payable to?
Please make all checks payable to: Susan G. Komen Minnesota.
Where should I mail donation checks?
Donations made by check must be accompanied by a Friends for the Cure® donation form. Mail checks and completed forms in an envelope marked “Friends for the Cure” by June 19, 2019 to:
Susan G. Komen Minnesota
Attn: Friends for the Cure
960 Southdale Center
Edina, MN 55435
Are donations tax-deductible in the United States?
YES, all monetary donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by United States law. Please contact a tax professional for specific advice.
Are registration fees tax-deductible?
NO, registration fees are not tax-deductible. IRS rules do not permit the deduction of registration fees for charity walks/races. All donations made above and beyond the registration fees are 100% tax deductible.
Do all donors receive a receipt?
Anyone who donates, regardless of the amount, will receive a receipt if they provide a valid address. For those who donate online, a printable receipt is generated at the time they make the donation. For mail-in donations that include a valid address, a receipt will be mailed when the donation has been processed.
What is a matching gift?
A matching gift is when a person makes a donation to a nonprofit organization and their employer donates an equal or greater amount to the same group. A matching gift is a great way for a donor to increase their contribution to the breast cancer movement.
How do I know if a company will make a matching gift for a donation?
We have a list of companies who have Corporate Matching gift programs on our home page under the “Komen Race for the Cure” tab, then click on “Fundraise,” and see the “Corporate Gift Matching” section. To know for sure, it is best to contact the Community Relations department of the company directly.
How does a donor apply for a matching gift?
In general, companies process matching gifts either by paper or online. Donors will need to check with their employer to find out which process they use.
The matching gift company has a list of nonprofit organizations to choose from; which name should I pick?
It is very important to select Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure® or Susan G. Komen® Minnesota in order for the participant to receive credit for a matching gift. Please do not choose a general Susan G. Komen or any other charity as the designated organization. The address listed on the company’s database for Komen Minnesota or Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure should be:
Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure®
960 Southdale Center
Edina, MN 55435
Can the donor mail the matching gift form?
We recommend participants mail matching gift forms so they can record the mailing date and ensure it is mailed to the correct address. Donors are responsible for completing the matching gift process if their company uses an online system.
How long does it take for the matching gift company to cut a check for the matching gift?
Company programs vary. Please contact them directly to find out how often matching gift checks are cut and mailed.